300g pork belly or shoulder with a bit of fat ( minced or chopped finely)
2 shallots ( cut into thin slices)
5 cloves garlic ( chopped finely)
2 cloves star anise
1-inch piece of old ginger (crushed)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
5 g rock sugar
3 tbsp oil
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
about 1 1/4 cup water
1. Heat up 3 tbsp oil in saucepan. Put in garlic and shallot and stir fry till fragrant.
2. Put in the minced pork and stir fry for a while. Add salt, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce and oyster sauce and continue to stir fry to mix well.
3. Add in ginger, star anise and water. Bring to boil over high flame.
4. Cover to simmer for 45 minutes. Put in rock sugar, shaoxing wine and pepper. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
5. Discard the ginger and star anise.