250g all purpose flour
80g vegetable shortening/fat
1/2 tsp salt
about 1/4 cup water
2 potatoes (cut into small cubes)
100g chicken meat ( cut into small pieces and season with light soya sauce and cornflour)
1 big bombay onion ( cut into small pieces)
2 shallots ( cut into thin slices)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
4-5 tbsp curry powder
pinch of salt
1. Put the flour with 1/2 tsp salt into a mixing bowl. Cut the shortening into flour.
2. Using rubbing-in method i.e use fingertips to rub the flour and fat together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make sure there is no large lump of fat remaining.
3. Gradually add in water and knead until you get a smooth dough. The dough must not be too hard. Add a bit more water if it's too hard. If it's too greasy, add a bit more flour.
4. Put the dough into a plastic bag and rest it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
5. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in the saucepan. Stir-fry shallots until fragrant.
6. Put in the chicken meat and stir fry. Add the potato cubes, big onion, light soya sauce, oyster sauce, salt and curry powder and stir fry to mix well.
7. Add in about 60ml water and cover to cook over medium flame until the potato is tender. If necessary, add in more water and cook longer.
8. Roll out the dough into 1.5 mm thickness. Cut into square pieces big enough to cover the curry puff mould.
9. With fillings put in, it's easy to shape the curry puff with the curry puff mould.
10. Heat oil in a pot. Deep fry the curry puff until golden brown on both sides.
11. Cool and serve.