375g plain flour (sifted with bicarbonate soda)
180g castor sugar (200g if you prefer it sweeter)
200g mixed fruit (dried)
250ml boiling water (1 cup)
125ml fruit juice (1/2 cup of apple juice used in this case)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Put water, sugar, mixed fruit and spices into a saucepan and bring to boil.
2. Cool the mixture and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
3. Add in the fruit juice and stir in the sifted flour.
4. Transfer batter to a greased cake tray (or even better lined with greased baking paper).
5. Bake in preheated oven over 180 degrees for 45-50 minutes (or until cooked).
6. Let it cool a little first before overturn it onto the rack.
7. Cut and serve when cooled.