300g pork belly
200g yam ( cut into big slices of 1/4" thickness)
3 star anise
2 stalk spring onion ( cut into long pieces )
6 cloves garlic ( flattened with knife )
1" old ginger ( flattened with knife )
2 tsp 5 spices powder
1 tbsp rock sugar
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1. Boil some water in a pot. Put in the pork belly to boil for 10 minutes.
2. Dish up the pork belly and drain dry.
3. Heat enough oil in saucepan to deep fry the sliced yam.
4. Deep fry the yam for 3 minutes and dish out.
6. Arrange the pork and yam slices alternately in a bowl with the skin of pork belly facing downwards.
7. Prepare the sauce by putting all the ingredients into a pot and boil for 15 minutes.
8. Pour the sauce into the bowl of belly and yam.
9. Steam over low fire for 1 hour until the pork belly is soft.
11. Cover the bowl of pork belly with a plate. Hold the bowl and plate together tightly and overturn quickly so that the pork belly is transfered to the plate with skin facing upwards.
12. Garnish with some spring onion and serve hot.